Wednesday, December 26, 2007

She's Baaaack!

Published: May. 27, 2007 at 4:11 AM
M'lady returned to me tonight. After about three weeks off because of pain, a little more, I started a few days ago to play lightly again. This morning after realizing I'd already overdone it last night, I eased into tonight's jam. And for a little while at least, jam it will be.

So tonight I started in five minute increments. Then I did ten, then I just jammed for about 45. I decided to spend 'some' period of time trying to better bring everything I've worked on together a little. And loving to play as I do, tonight was excellent.

I'm finding I will play in a couple major modes so far, very light chamber, and with energy and intensiity. My "Air on G String" spoke silk for a few minutes there, and broad and more powerful for a few as well.

Beyond this I'm also finding that bringing it all together means bringing the instrument to the front, Milstein inspired lightness of hold bow, good relaxed tuck, and improving my note grabbing and arched bowing.

Actually I could imagine spending the next year just on these above. When the above are in place, the basic wrist vibrato is excellent. And experimenting with minimum and maximum bow speed and pressure is part of this entire image--sort of inferred already.

But most importantly, tonight the sometimes elusive playing with passion teased me for a few minutes. Tonight was cool.

No comments: