Wednesday, December 26, 2007

In the Raw: Day 3

Published: Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:12 AM
Last modified: Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM

Having brought together Raphael's three areas important to playing without a shoulder rest relatively well, I'm pleased with the results.
http://rkviolin.com/writ_fund_one.html

Though as it turns out, I'm going to have to follow Yixi's path clothwise, I've hijacked the leather like chair arm protectors for the time being. (I thought there was material left over--not)

Whether or not I'm just maturing with the instrument, I'm not really sure. But the lightness of hold I mentioned previously is spreading like a well done sun tan--Remarkable. I think it's Raphael's image of the instrument resting lightly like a board on two blocks is most important here, along with the jawline angled ending at the chinrest; and, the instrument level along with supported by the southpaw really do as he said in other words, create a perpetual plane upon which to work.

Though I'm only in day three of this new approach, I'm certain that at least it will break me out of those bad habits formed early leaning into the chin rest, and free me from the machine like dependence on the added centered line drawn across one's body through the shoulder rest at 45 degrees. Sorry-I loved trig.

Time will tell. I hope my new strings arrive tomorrow, so I can throw down a little. But if they don't, it will not hurt my hyper self to review and remedial Raphael's approach some more.

Wish me luck!.

No comments: