Wednesday, December 26, 2007

let it go,and be free! Paul's response

Published: Aug. 15, 2007 at 4:46 AM
Last modified: Aug. 15, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Paul, your post generated valuable wisdom all the way 'round. I just finished my first 'fairly' serious passes of "Adagio in Gm", in Em, by Albinoni.

This letting go! Your comment that you are just doing open strings made me think. You also said paraphrased, that "when I don't focus". I wanted to suggest to you that this focus is deceptive.

For your first several years, you will be focusing I hope, on this "letting go". I was writing earlier to someone that, 'this violin is a jealous creature' that demands complete "letting go".

But there is a method to this letting go, based on your specific body-type. Though you may be a natural in posture, there are chances that as an adult beginner that you may 'not be so natural'. Especially in playing violin.

Though this wonderful flowing image seems abstract, it isn't. The image is a matter of all the elements that make up relaxed posture, and apply themselves to the sometimes quarrelsome violin.

Tuck.
Lightness of instrument placement.
yet. secureness of instrument placement. many, my experience
Level control in a balanced but parallel orientation of the instrument. many + external sources
Worth repeating: a lightness of placement,
with the instrument 'resting' on the hand and shoulder. Raphael
Comfortable stance the basics
nice breathing many, external

Especially for adults all these things in a package do not come so easily. So, as you add technique--(different bowings, ....), keep all these things in mind. For instance, good detached notes do not come from scrunching so much, unless you are a scruncher. Good detached notes come from good relaxed control. I hope that makes sense.

When I was playing Albinoni a few minutes ago, it was so awesome! My body after months and months of work was floating--months and months of work--and pain, cussin'.. Not only Albinoni but other candidates in my legato fest, were melting all over the place--if not 100% perfectly.

Though my knees began trembling, I maintained composure a little better this time 'round. And when I just instinctively started sketching the first ascending theme, it came 'too' nicely.

This letting go you see, has many layers from finesse in technique, to effective efficient composure when the spirit hits. Do not take it for granted. Nurture it, make it yours. It will make all the difference.

No comments: