Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I'm embarassed...

Published: Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Last modified: Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:15 PM

that it took over two years to be comfortable with my violin, and that it took ditching my shoulder rest to make it happen. Even more so, I'm embarrassed that all these little pieces coming together I've known forever: straight wrist, support the instrument, somewhat:play from the front center....

And other little pieces along the way, are only now making sense. (Buri: "your elbow too close to your body", others...)... Sheesh, it's been an adventure. I knew however I was getting there only recently.

After ditching the shoulder rest ala Klayman's site, I started practicing in front of a big wall size mirror a few days past that. But before the mirror thing, I had already sensed and felt many points of relaxed posture.

Then, in front of the mirror, I learned to tweak my elbow and tuck, the last but probably most important part of my posture journey. The relaxed posture had already improved projection noticeably including the very shape and sound of notes as well. But, the elbow tuck, cleaned up my left hand articulation on yet another level somehow I do not really understand. I think it must be related to effective support of the instrument.

But now f4 on other strings has started to resonate almost like an open string. I'm impressed, but still embarrassed.

No comments: